Sunday, January 1, 2012

1+1=2+1=3+1=4?!?!?!?


I look at that equation and wonder, what in the whole wide world of snow are/were we thinking. Yes, most of you know, Christopher and I are expecting our second child. This little bundle of indigestion, mom narcolepsy, and psycho mood swings will make his or her appearance on or around the fifth of July. Did we impeccably time that or what?! No we didn't actually. They only plan was to try to have this kiddo when Evan started school. We REALLY did NOT want to have to pay for two children in daycare. Gas breaks us as it is, don't add two daycare bills. Sure the great state of Alabama has a low cost of living, but it seems that employers forget to adjust an increase in pay. Rant over. Back to "Peanut" as we have started calling it.

Have any of you moms read Jenny McCarthy's book Belly Laughs? It is basically a look at the ungraceful things that women go through in a pregnancy. She takes an honest look inside the strange-ness that we mothers go through while we harbor a fugitive for 9 months. A few months ago when Chris and I started talking the "baby" word, I pulled this book out and read it to him. In that one simple movement I cursed myself. I am now just shy of 14 weeks pregnant and I can start a checklist of the things in that book that are happening to me. There isn't much pleasant in that book, most is gross and uncomfortable, and NOTHING I experienced while carrying Evan. Don't most mothers say, "Every pregnancy is different?" Yes, Yes they do.

I knew, immediately I was pregnant. I haven't felt normal since I saw those two blessed lines on that extremely expensive stick I had peed on. Food became an enemy. There was a constant state of yuck not quite enough to call morning sickness. I lived with this strange feeling of ick sitting in my chest that only two Tums and a Gas-x could begin to abate. My Obstetrician could not, correction, would not, see me until I was eight weeks. What came with that glorious appointment? A cute little ultrasound of Peanut and a prescription of Zofran and Phenegren. Did you hear the angels sing? I did. The first weekend I took one, I ate. When I say ate, I ATE! I felt human.

As a result, I turned into one of the women that have to constantly eat something. If I didn't, that rock in my chest would return. JOY!
I can proudly say, since about 11.5 weeks I have been Zofran and Phenegren free and food is my friend. The hotter and spicier the food, the better.
Pregnancy with your second child makes you appreciate your first pregnancy so much more. With Ev I never got sick, had heartburn, took nausea medicine, hurt, ached, pained or really complained. With this one I feel like a simpering pile of WAAHH's! Just ask my adoringly wonderful husband. He is a trooper. I think excitement and anticipation has blinded him for the whiny, psycho, whimpering, puddle of mush that his once strong willed wife used to be. Am I a wimp this time, yes, yes I am.

So, I had a visit to the doctor on Friday. Actually, I saw the NP (Nurse Practitioner) since I work all day Tuesday-Thursday. I personally find it a lot more comforting and more personal that actually seeing my doctor. She doesn't seem to be in such a rush, and I feel she cares more than my doctor does. Plus, maybe it's just me, but, I am a lot more comfortable with my NP. Hopefully I get to have her a lot throughout this pregnancy. She is pretty awesome.
Peanuts heart rate was 157 and everything with me was perfectly fine and dandy. I even LOST a pound. What I don't understand is why my high tech OB-GYN doesn't have a digital scale. My scale at home says I am 6lbs lighter than their ancient slidy one. But, I guess a pound is a pound? My next appoint will be at 17 weeks on January 27th. I doubt they will do the big ultrasound, but they may. If not, that one will be last week of February.
On THAT topic, those of you that do not yet know, we will be finding out the sex but will NOT be sharing the information. With Evan my family wanted to be surprised. Evan wanted us to know and showed it proudly at 20 weeks. *eye roll* This is a personal choice and I don't think we can be persuaded otherwise. (please make all checks out to us, we don't at this time accept major credit cards as a bribe)

That is all for now, continue to wish us luck, and check back often!

No comments:

Post a Comment